Re: Getting "ident" to work in Windows

Magnus Hagander, 04.05.2012 15:22:
I'm trying to enable "ident" authentication on my Windows machine using
PostgreSQL 9.1

However as soon as I add the following line to pg_hba.conf

   host    all             all             ::1/128            ident sameuser

"sameuser" was removed in PostgreSQL 8.4. Now you just use "ident" if
you want that behavior.

Thanks, I somehow missed that.

It probably told you this in the logfile when you did reload - for
security reasons, the details of the error are never given to an
unauthenticated client.

No, I only got the could not load pg_hba.conf" error message.

Ideally I would like to make "ident" to work with a custom map but using
"ident tkmap". But that throws the same error which isn't really surprising
as "ident tkmap" is not working either.

ident map=tkmap

is what you want. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/auth-methods.html#AUTH-IDENT

I still get an authentication error but probably that's because ident is indeed not available on Windows.
It's not that important as I just wanted to play around with it.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Thomas