Re: Parameters to consider on increasing max_connections and physical memory

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Gnanakumar <gnanam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our Production server is running PostgreSQL v8.2.22 on CentOS5.2.  Based on
> the application usage trend, we're finding that we need to increase maximum
> number of concurrent connections to the database server, that is
> "max_connections" parameter.  Of course, I also understand that it requires
> more system physical memory.
>
> My question is, what are all the PostgreSQL conf parameters that I must take
> into account/consider to adjust/modify, if we increase system physical
> memory and "max_connections"?

How high have you had to raise it?  If you're heading in the direction
of 500 or more, consider using a connection pooler like pgbouncer.

Generally each new connection uses about 6Megs of memory from the
machine the db lives on.  For performance tuning, look here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization