impact of truncate table on indexes

Hi All -

We have been having some performance issues with indexes right after truncating a table. My understanding is truncate removes all the contents of the table and the space get reclaimed immediately. In such cases what happens to its indexes. It does not seem like they are removed, but merely marked for deletion by a vacuum job and it creates huge bloats and performance problems.

What is the best procedure in scenarios like this? Recreating indexes seems to solve the problem, but I am trying to find out if there are other alternatives out there.

Thanks.
Dinesh