Re: Deadlock like scenario

Hi Shridhar,

Probably you should read a bit about how PostgreSQL locks and what operation requires which locks. More importantly what happens when these locks are not available.

ISTM, your trigger operation tries a bulk operation (INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE) on table B but the nightly reindex acquires a lock because of which your bulk operations get stuck. Have you tried reindexing CONCURRENTLY ? It doesn't solve all problems as Greg rightly points out but could help in this situation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/explicit-locking.html#TABLE-LOCK-COMPATIBILITY

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-reindex.html

--
Robins Tharakan