Re: vacuumdb question/problem

 Tom,

It was not consuming any CPU time. I found that another process on the machine failed. That process was trying to write to a different table (not the one I was vacuuming) in the database and that table was locked (not sure why). It produced thousands of errors which caused the log files to grow large enough that the entire disk was filled, and this brought everything to a halt.

So I had to kill my process, recover disk space and get the machine back in working condition for the weekend. I guess I will attempt to do the full vacuum again next week.

I am still wondering how the vacuum process actually works. When it throws the output lines that show how many rows are recoverable/nonremovable, does this mean that the vacuum has completed? Or do those output lines show the vacuum has scanned through the database...found what what it is going to recover and then takes on the vacuum process?

Thanks,
Dave