Re: Streaming replication status and fail over questions

Michael Holt wrote:
1) I've seen things about using pg_current_xlog_location(), pg_last_xlog_replay_location(), pg_last_xlog_receive_location() to check replication status, but how can this tell me either the time lag or actual query lag? Do I need to wait for 9.1 and it's replication monitoring features?

You might want to check out repmgr:  http://projects.2ndquadrant.com/repmgr
It can collect data in the background that it uses to compute lag in time units.

2) If I have a master to multi-slave setup and need to fail over, is there anyway for slaves to detect the new master? Without this it seems like fail over could be pretty messy.

repmgr also provides a view to help make this easier to figure out right now, and the next version due out any day now will go even further toward automating it completely.

3) Finally just wanted to confirm that SR allows only for replication of an entire server.

Well, an entire database cluster on a server. I have put more than one database cluster on a server before in order to make it possible to replicate only a subset of the data. But that's difficult to pull off, you end up needing tools like dblink for anything that crosses the two databases together.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD