Re: Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Mark Stosberg <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is not as findable as it could be then. Besides scanning the page, I
> also searched for "child", "parent" and "partition", and none of those
> words are mentioned. Neither is "inherit". Pulling out "ONLY" to have
> it's own "Parameter" sub-heading also help, instead of bundling that
> documentation under the "name" sub-heading.
>
> I suggest that at least one of the above search terms be added to better
> relate the documentation to the partitioning documentation.

Agreed.

> Further, since TRUNCATE permanently and instantly deletes mass amounts
> of data, I would hope that it would provide "safety" by default, but
> only truncating one table unless I specify otherwise.

Keep in mind you're using postgres, the only thing you can't wrap in a
transaction is create / drop tablespace or database.  So you can test
your truncate within a transaction to be sure it's doing what you
want.