Re: Scaling

Zitat von Chris Ernst <cernst@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 04/24/2011 04:21 PM, David Hornsby wrote:
My SMB database is currently running on a HP-UX box running in a master
- slave slonyI cluster to create a hot spare database. Recently the
server has be getting hammered and we are consistently hitting our max
db connections. We have our web CMS and our web apps, our desktop client
apps, and a couple application servers running off of this database
server and it is crumbling under the stress. Currently we have been
doing table partitioning and table archiving to trim the fat off of the
indexing processes etc.

My project at hand is to upgrade this configuration to a linux cluster
of servers, 2 - 3. The ideal solution is to just do load balancing
through DNS requests and have 2 servers in a multi master configuration.
So far we have not had any hardware issues on our current set up ( knock
on wood). So in doing this I am not immediately looking for a hot spare
set up. But in the future am looking at setting up a VPN tunnel to an
offsite server and sending WAL updates to that.

Any and all comments are truly appreciated as well as any nudges in
various directions.

I'm not aware of any production ready multi-master solution for
PostgreSQL.  So I would not suggest perusing that at the moment.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Bucardo

But i have never used it so no idea how stable/mature it is.

Regards

Andreas