Re: Reseting statistics, cluster wide

On 04/20/2011 10:49 PM, raghu ram wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Mario Splivalo
<mario.splivalo@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mario.splivalo@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    I have set up munin monitoring that plots nice graphs using
    pg_stat_bgwriter and pg_stat_database views. It has been on for
    quite some time now, and the numbers those views return are too big
    for munin to handle. I would like to reset those statistics. As
    explained by manual, pg_stat_reset() resets only db-related
    statistics, not the ones used cluster-wide. Is there a way to reset
    those? I don't mind stopping the server if I need to, but I'd realy
    like to have those started all over again.
Currently we don't have such feature to reset statistics on cluster
level. You have to use two PostgreSQL functions like
pg_stat_reset_shared(text), pg_stat_reset ().
There are a few statistics that are only kept on a per-cluster basis,
such as those reported in pg_stat_database and pg_stat_bgwriter. Since
pg_stat_reset only resets per-database statistics.

psql=# select pg_stat_reset();

psql=# select pg_stat_reset_shared('bgwritter');  -- It will reset the
statistics shown by pg_stat_bgwritter.

Heh, I've neglected to mention that i'm using postgres 8.4.5 on Debian Stable. Is there a way to reset statistics on pg8.4? I've tested it on 9.0 and it works there.

	Mario