Re: Checkpoint and Background Writer Statistics

Err, sorry, I think I meantÂbgwriter_lru_maxpages, not lru_max_dirty.
---Â
===========================
Samuel Nelson
Consistent State
www.consistentstate.com
303-955-0509
===========================

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Sam Nelson <samn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, list.

We're trying to pull a few various metrics from the postgres catalogs to analyze database performance, and included is buffers_checkpoint and buffers_clean from pg_stat_bgwriter.

One of our clients has an lru_max_dirty setting of 1000 and a bgwriter_delay of 200, but we're still seeing much higher growth in the buffers_checkpoint than buffers_clean, with buffers_checkpoint increasing at about 20 times the rate that buffers_clean is. ÂWe don't see very much growth in the maxwritten_clean, though - something like one every couple of days.

So the questions is, why are there still so many more checkpoint buffers than clean buffers written? ÂDoes the buffers_checkpoint value include more than we think? ÂIf not, can we tune things further?

---Â
Samuel Nelson
Consistent State
www.consistentstate.com