Re: PANIC killing vacuum process

Kevin Grittner ha scritto:
Silvio Brandani <silvio.brandani@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
we have develop a script to execute the vacuum full on all tables
of our very big database , since it is a 24 x 7 available system
we have not a timeframe to exec the vacuum full.
so we try with this script running the vauum full table by table
and if the vacuum generate the waiting status for other
connections we kill the vacuum .
But we encounter following problem:
with kill command:

2010-11-03 14:25:27 CET [19324]: [4-1] FATAL:  terminating
connection due to administrator command
2010-11-03 14:25:27 CET [19324]: [5-1] STATEMENT:  vacuum full
analyze verbose tracking.as_history_status ;
2010-11-03 14:25:27 CET [19324]: [6-1] PANIC:  cannot abort
transaction 75073917, it was already committed

with pg_cancel_backend(pid) command:

CPU 0.18s/0.26u sec elapsed 3.79 sec.
ERROR:  canceling statement due to user request
PANIC:  cannot abort transaction 75081452, it was already
committed server closed the connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.
!> quit
-> \q

the server crash and we have a service unavailiability on our
production system.
What version of PostgreSQL is this?
Is it possible to softly kill a vacuum process without risk a
panic ?????
Normally, yes. VACUUM FULL is more prone to problems than a normal
vacuum, especially if you are using an old version.  There are very
few circumstances where VACUUM FULL is the right thing to use.
Have you recovered your database yet? If so how? (Restart, PITR
backup, pg_dump output, etc.)
-Kevin

We had to kill the postmaster and restart the database recovering it.

thanks

--
Silvio Brandani

---

Utilizziamo i dati personali che la riguardano esclusivamente per nostre finalità amministrative e contabili, anche quando li comunichiamo a terzi. Informazioni dettagliate, anche in ordine al Suo diritto di accesso e agli altri Suoi diritti, sono riportate alla pagina http://www.savinodelbene.com/privacy.html
Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore Vi preghiamo di ritornarlo al mittente eliminandolo assieme agli eventuali allegati, ai sensi art. 616 codice penale http://www.savinodelbene.com/privacy/codice_penale_616.html
L'Azienda non si assume alcuna responsabilità giuridica qualora pervengano da questo indirizzo messaggi estranei all'attività lavorativa o contrari a norme.