reinstall postgreSQL same version while server up and running possible under linux ?

Sorry for posting this again, but my last post regarding this
problematic wasn't answered satisfyingly. (maybe I didn't find the
right words for my question ;-) )

is this (or a minor upgrade) a "safe" way to go under linux ? I'm on a
production system and I don't want to restart the DB server while the
factory is in production, but be sure that i'm prepared the next time
I'll do a restart. Of course I could wait for a factory shutdown on a
weekend, stop server, upgrade/reinstall and restart, but I'd prefer a
"on the fly upgrade".
(this is required due to a changed upstream library dependancy (major
perl upgrade) running gentoo)

regards
Gerhard