Re: newer release branch

Marc Fromm wrote:

There were no links or other helpful information provided. Has anyone upgraded from 8.1 to the latest version 9.0.1? Can you do it in one jump?

Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?

As of RHEL 5.5, there is now an official postgresql84 package you can easily load. What I would do in your situation is target upgrading from 8.1 to 8.4 initially, via the dump/reload method, with the main expected problem being the type case changes already mentioned. I've saved a number of good links on this general topic onto http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Version_History that should provide some additional guidance if you read through them a bit.

By the time you get that done, 9.0 should be a better tested and stable release, and you can do a quick binary upgrade from 8.4 to 9.0 using the pg_upgrade utility.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us