Re: Syslog line wrapping

Evan Rempel <erempel@xxxxxxx> writes:
> I am running Postgresql 8.3 and would like to get postgres to
> NOT wrap the syslog lines. Is ther any configuration to do this.
> Perhaps I can wrap them at a very large line number?

The problem we're up against is explained in src/backend/utils/error/elog.c:

	 * Our problem here is that many syslog implementations don't handle long
	 * messages in an acceptable manner. While this function doesn't help that
	 * fact, it does work around by splitting up messages into smaller pieces.

If you are fortunate enough to have a less-broken-than-average syslog
facility, you could increase the PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT constant defined there.
On the whole, though, I'd suggest not depending on syslog.  It has
other issues besides this one, like sometimes losing messages entirely.

			regards, tom lane