Re: The function of lock file named ".s.PGSQL.<port>.lock" on Linux?

Tom Lane wrote:
We can't portably lock the socket file itself, so we make a separate
ordinary file for locking purposes.

It looks to me like the fact that the .lock file is created is only documented in src/backend/utils/init/miscinit.c , and even there the reason why (what you wrote above) isn't mentioned. Seems like noting this file is created in the unix_socket_directory entry of the docs, and the rationale for why in the source code, would make a useful improvement. Anybody want to write a little documentation patch?

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us