Re: postgres function does not handle PUBLIC - expected?

2010/8/10 Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska@xxxxxxxx>
Kevin,
I know public is there from using it every day, but if it were not for you post I would not know how to prove it, none of the views, graphical admin tools etc. display it as a user.

We found this issue because we can grant privs to public on a table, but could not revoke them. If I did not "know" that public was there ( because in my experience it is there in oracle, sql server and the Informix dbs) how would I check for it's existence on Postgres?

Thank you,
Kasia

"The key word PUBLIC refers to the implicitly defined group of all roles."
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-revoke.html

So PUBLIC seems to be a kind of magical role. I didn't know that, sorry for my previous, a little bit confusing email.

regards
Szymon