Re: Connection pooling for a mixture of lightweight and heavyweight jobs?

Craig James <craig_james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Well, the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule might come into
>> play here.
>
> I should have given one more detail here: We've been the victim
> of persistent "CPU spikes" that were discussed extensively in
> postgres-performance.  Tom suggested upgrading to 8.4.4, but that
> can't happen for a couple more months (we're working on it).

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-04/msg00071.php

Ah, I hadn't connected that thread with this.  After rereading that
thread with the information from this thread in mind, I think what
you describe on the other thread could well be the "thundering herd"
problem.  Some form of connection pooling could well help.

BTW, I hope you've updated to the latest 8.3.x by now.  If not, you
should expedite that.

-Kevin