Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database.

"ENGEMANN, DAYSE" <dayse.engemann@xxxxxx> wrote:

> If I use the  :
> Origim: pg_dump -Ft -b db_name > file.tar
> Target: pg_restore -d new_db file.tar
>
> The target server has a db, using PGDATA=/postgres, the same in
> the other server... There is any risk to lost any data?

Restoring to a new database should not put the data in pre-existing
databases at risk.  I wouldn't recommend the tar format for your
dump, though -- I've had better luck with custom if I want a
"structured" dump from which I can selectively restore.  If you want
the whole thing, and don't need an intermediate copy (two big "ifs",
I know), you could do something like this on the target machine:

pg_dump -h sourcemachine -U sourceuser dbname | psql dbname

-Kevin