Re: Setting up a warm standby server - some questions

Hello,

I could solve one of the questions myself :)
I have also problems shutting down the secondary server while it is in
"standby" (i.e. recovery) mode

This works fine when using "-m fast" instead of "-m immediate".

I would still like an answer on these questions:

What is the recommended way to switch back to the primary, once that is
up and running again? What is the recommended way to get the secondary back into the "standby"
mode?

As we are trying to minimize the possible data loss, I'm looking at the archive_timeout setting (I'm currently evaluating our possibilities with 8.4)

The manual at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html#RECOVERY-CONFIG-SETTINGS
states:

    "It is therefore unwise to set a very short archive_timeout  — it will bloat your archive storage.
    archive_timeout settings of a minute or so are usually reasonable"

But on the other hand
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/warm-standby.html
states:

  "The length of the window of data loss can be limited by use of the archive_timeout parameter, which can
  be set as low as a few seconds if required"

but kind of restrains itself right after that by stating:

  "However such low settings will substantially increase the bandwidth requirements for file shipping"

My question is: is that the bandwidth between primary and standby?

If the archive is stored on a differend harddisk (or storgae system) as the data directory, I'd reckon it wouldn't have much impact on the primary server. Or am I missing something?

Regards
Thomas