Re: advanced backup tool

Anj Adu <fotographs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Will any upcoming release of Postgres have an incremental  backup
> tool like Oracle's RMAN? Currently, the WAL based archiving
> requires many frequent full backups (especially for large
> databases) as the replay of a large number of WAL files will take
> a very long time. We have a few databases each over 1Tb and are
> looking for effective backup/recovery strategies.  (Currently..we
> rely on specific partition backups via COPY command)...but the
> process is cumbersome.
>
> RMAN's incremental backup effectively makes every incremental
> backup a full backup which is a great time-saver during recovery.

I don't know how well this will fit, but we crafted our own solution
for similar issues with a few simple bash scripts.  The approach is
described prospectively here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-03/msg00233.php

with a follow-up here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-07/msg00071.php