TOAST behavior in 8.3 and 8.4

I have a table with a text column, wherein most values range between 800 and 1700 bytes. The data should be highly compressible, however these values appear to be too small to trigger the TOAST mechanism - I understand the default value of TOAST_TUPLE_THRESHOLD is about 2kb.

This table is by far the largest in our database (1006450 rows; pg_relation_size() gives 1580 MB), and I am keen to get the data compressed. We compile from source and are currently running 8.3.10. Based on some discussions I found in the archives, I thought it might be worthwhile to lower TOAST_TUPLE_THRESHOLD and rebuild.

However, I checked to see whether the behavior of TOAST had been changed in 8.4, since I am hoping to upgrade soon. I found the following comment in the release notes:

"Consider TOAST compression on values as short as 32 bytes (previously 256 bytes)"

I don't understand what that '256 bytes' refers to. That is a far cry from 2kb. I would be grateful if anyone can fill in the evident gap in my knowledge here.

--

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell
Computer Operations