Store database users in custom table

Hi,

I am developping a Java application, and using a PostgreSQL backend database. Theorically, there might be lots of users, each with potentially different permissions over the different tables.

I could add those user to the database with a classic CREATE USER, but that doesn't seem efficient to me, since I've already got a custom table with users data and, amongst others, password.

So my question is simple (the answer might not be, though): is there a possibility to tell Postgres to fetch user logins and passwords in a custom table (perhaps respecting a certain schema) instead of the default location?

Thank you.

Antoine POPINEAU.
begin:vcard
fn:Antoine POPINEAU
n:POPINEAU;Antoine
org:Antoine POPINEAU
adr:;;24 rue du Berry;Chevilly-Larue;;94550;France
email;internet:apognu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;cell:+33 6 84 83 01 34
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.apognu.net