Re: Backups

On 02/20/2010 11:23 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan<lists@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I want a script to backup all databases table by table in different .sql
files.

Why?  It may be that pg_dump / pg_restore already provide the
functionality you are looking for.

How to do this ?

pg_dump -t tablename dbname

rinse repeat

Also since it is a script, there has to be some role having read access to
all tables on all databases. How to grant that ?

Can they just be a superuser?  Or can you grant them the role that has
ownership of the tables?

I don't feel safe to key in the root password in the script.

I was previously using MySQL, in which I had a user called backup without password having SELECT access on all tables and databases.

I need something similar in PgSQL. A possible solution seems to me is to use the trust auth for a user in pg_hba.conf, but if the user is given superuser status, then it will have write access to all databases, which is extremely dangerous.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator