Re: user connection properties

Hi Kevin,
I'm on with your comments , but I don't think optional is the right word,. This information should be collected in one of the internal table, next to client's host ip and user name . You can get this from JDBC connection property or any other programing language user connection properties.This is a "must feature" when you need to know what's been running in your database server and wish to make some SQL tunning. BTW: I don't know to much about PG 's " feature wish list " , if we get more feedback from some of the Gurus we can add this one to the list.
Isabella

Kevin Grittner wrote:

Scott Mead <scott.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Isabella Ghiurea <isabella.ghiurea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> From which internal tables/views   I  can get the  user connection
>> application/job name ? (pg_stat _activity has the client  ip
>> address only)

>    Unlike Oracle, PG doesn't give you the remote application name.

Sybase ASE and Microsoft SQL Server both give the connecting
application a way to specify an application name, too.  When that's
available, it can occasionally help sort out what's what.  If we were
to add that, I assumed we'd want to make it optional (for
compatibility).

-Kevin

Isabella A. Ghiurea
Isabella.Ghiurea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre | http://www1.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics 5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045