Re: Catching up Production from Warm Standby after maintenance - Please help

Jennifer Spencer <jenniferm411@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that we won't be able to do vacuuming/reindexing with the
> machine online and serving users if the database is over a certain
> size.  Am I wrong?

Probably.  My first concern is to make sure you aren't doing VACUUM
FULL as part of your maintenance cycle.  That option is meant for
recovery from extreme bloat, and is sort of a "last resort".  Other
vacuums coexist with normal usage as long as you have things properly
configured for your environment.  You probably won't have a need to
reindex if you stay away from VACUUM FULL and otherwise avoid unusual
activity which causes index bloat; however, if you do need to reindex
without down time, there is CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY which can be
used to achieve that.

-Kevin