Re: Partioning in postgres

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Bhella
Paramjeet-PFCW67<PBhella@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tested a scenario where in one terminal window
> I insert rows in the eventlog table in the BEGIN END loop and do not
> commit the transaction. In another terminal window I create a new
> partition but when I create a rule for the new partition it hangs until
> I commit the
> transaction(insert) in the first terminal window.  Just want to know if
> this is a limitation in postgres partitioning ?

Actually I would say that transactional ddl is a feature of PostgreSQL
rather than a limitation.  But is sounds like this feature isn't
playing well with your current design.

> Is there a work around
> for this problem? In our production environment we want to  be able to
> create new partitions and rule for new partition while data is being
> inserted into the eventlog table.

You probably need break up your insert transactions into smaller
segments that coincide DDL changes.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.