Re: Postgres has stopped logging

Using strace, I was able to determine that the logger process was attempting to output its usual messages when an invalid SQL query was issued.

As an experiment, I changed the value of log_directory in postgresql.conf (to a directory which I had created in a different partition than /var) and reloaded - issued a command which would guarantee an error - voila, a new log file was created in that directory.

I then changed log_directory to its original value, reloaded, issued an invalid query - and a new log file was created in the proper location. Everything seems back to normal.

So my problem is solved, although I wish I had some idea what had caused it in the first place.

Tom Lane wrote:
Lewis Kapell <lkapell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
If I search the output of ps -ax for entries containing both "postgres:" and "process" I get the following:

  2259 ?        Ss     0:03 postgres: logger process

Well, that looks reasonable.  You might try strace'ing that process
while you do something that's certain to provoke a log entry
(maybe "SELECT 1/0;" in a psql session).

The only likely problem that I can think of at this point is that
SELinux might think the process shouldn't be allowed to write in /var/log/postgres/, but I don't know why that would have just suddenly
started to be a problem after working before.  Unless maybe someone
did a system-wide restorecon or some such.

			regards, tom lane