From: pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lewis Kapell
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 10:44 AM
To: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Postgres has stopped logging

This is a really strange one. We are running PostgreSQL 8.3.7 on a Fedora Core 8 system (uname -a gives: 2.6.23.1-42.fc8).

On Wednesday I was reading about the upcoming change in the default value of default_statistics_target from 10 to 100 - we had never changed this value, so I bumped it up a bit and also changed the value of log_autovacuum_min_duration so that I could monitor the results. Yesterday I tweaked the settings a bit more and continued to monitor the logs. About two hours later, the log file stopped growing.

At first I didn't fully realize what had happened, I thought there was just low activity. Today I checked again and realized there had been no logs since yesterday afternoon. I made another minor adjustment to the config file and issued pg_ctl reload, to see if I could force something to show up in the log - nothing. The time stamp on the latest log file is still from yesterday.

The log location is under the /var partition, the df command shows usage at 3%, so this is not being caused by a full partition. I am baffled as to what I can try next, other than a server restart, which I am reluctant to do since this is a production server.

The server is working normally, as far as I can tell, apart from this.

I would be most grateful if anyone can suggest the next step for troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you.

Lewis Kapell