Deleting "parent" record

Hi:

I can't delete a "parent" record from a table. The relation has "ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE". As far as know, that causes that when you delete a record from the parent table, the related one from the child table will be deleted as well. However, I had to first delete the child record and then delete the parent one. Is this normal on using PostgreSQL?? I first tried the removal by using PHP. When it failed, I thought it was a problem of my PHP code and I checked it manually from Navicat, it failed too.