backing up a PostGRES DB

Hello,

I'm putting together a web app that uses PostGRES as a backend and I'm looking for comments on backup strategy.
The entire web app, (Tomcat and PostGRES), will be run in a virtual machine.  I was thinking about quiescing the DB, then copying the files that make up the virtual machine to some network attached backup store.  This will be done once a day.
I ask this august body, based on your experiences, does this sound like a reasonable plan, or would doing something like running pgdump be better, or ????
Thanks for the help one and all.

Rich S.