Re: Database in use?

That's interesting and is probably the answer to my question as to why this happens. Thanks, Nick. What it doesn't explain is why I was able to connect to a test database using PhpPgAdmin and close the browser, without logging out, and I was able to rename my test database. I couldn't reproduce the behavior. I wonder if it is a property of the particular browser or desktop platform. I was using Firefox on a Mac. The users use Windows. I'm not sure which browser they are using.

I also still want to know if there is a way to gracefully break that persistent connection on the server side. Using a PHP front end over the web, I don't always know who has a browser open.

Thanks,
Carol