Re: 8.3.5 broken after power fail SOLVED

Other than disaster tests, how would I know if I have an system that lies about fsync?

We preach this again and again.  PostgreSQL can only survive a power
outage type failure ONLY if the hardware / OS / filesystem don't lie
about fsync.  If they do, all bets are off, and this kind of failure
means you should really failover to another machine or restore a
backup.

It's why you have to do possibly destructive tests to see if your
server stands at least some chance of surviving this kind of failure,
log shipping for recovery, and / or replication of another form (slony
etc...) to have a reliable server.

The recommendations for recovery of data are just that, recovery
oriented.  They can't fix a broken database at that point.  You need
to take it offline after this kind of failure if you can't trust your
hardware.

Usually when it finds something wrong it just won't start up.

Naomi Walker                          Chief Information Officer
Eldorado Computing, Inc               nwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 ---An EDS Company                   602-604-3100