Re: Tsearch module - please help.

The database is within my 8.2.4 instance. I've also got an 8.3.4 instance running. I'm trying to move the database to the 8.3 version. I can't back up the database. When I try to back it up using pg_dump or pg_dumpall, I get a "failed sanity check error". I can copy the data out of the tables using the sql copy statement. My solution is to manually recreate the table schema, then copy the data into the tables. All worked well except for two tables. These tables are called pg_ts_dict and pg_ts_parser. I cannot copy the data from these tables into my new database because the functions that are in their columns do not exist in the database. There are two other tables with names that also suggest that they are related to full text searching. They are pg_ts_cfg and pg_ts_cfgmap. This is the only database in the cluster that uses or tries to use full text searching.

This is a database developed by graduate students for a faculty research project. My problem is that I know nothing about how this process works. I know from my reading the tables that I see in the database are tables that are included with the tsearch2. I don't know if it's a normal situation for those tables to appear in a database just like the rest of the user tables and to be shown as being owned by the owner of the rest of the tables. If this is a normal situation, how do I get the functions into the database. There are a whole host of functions in this database that list $libdir/tsearch2 as their path. In the 8.3.4 instance which includes the full text searching as part of the core, will these tables still appear in the user's database.

Please help. If the answer is too long to go into, then, please point me at documentation that tells me enough of what is going on "under the hood" for me to figure out how to proceed.

Thank you so much,

Carol