Re: primary key and insert

Marc Fromm wrote:
I created this table:
       id         | integer                       | not null
    "alert_list_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
I get this error when I run the insert a listed below. The insert does not have an entry for the primary key "id" since I thought it updates automatically: *Warning*: pg_query() [function.pg-query <http://finaid46.finaid.wwu.edu/lan/student_alerts/function.pg-query>]: Query failed: ERROR: null value in column "id" violates not-null constraint
How do I do an insert on this table and have the primary key "id" update with the record?
I think you are confusing primary key and serial.

A column can be a primary key (not-null, unique row id) or a serial (actually automatically creates an integer type, a sequence, and a default for the column of nextval('sequence') to automatically generate a new value for each record).

A primary key could be a serial, but doesn't have to be.

A serial can be a primary key but doesn't have to be.

Note: due to things like transaction rollbacks, a serial column will have unique IDs generated but they are not guaranteed to be consecutive.

Cheers,
Steve