autovacuum benchmarking ...

Hi Team

1. Can we know the how much time will take ongoing vacuum process  in DB?
2. Any benchmarking tool for vacuum process.
3. Can we know what exact operations has been done by Vacuum process.
4. I studied that only VACUUM process doesnot lock the table but due to it insertion in table gets very slow. when i killed vacuum daemon insertion get faster is it bug in 8.3.3

I know I should not ask all these questions in one go but i need urgently its answer as vacuum process is just screwing my production database. I would thankful for any suggestion on above question...

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Amit