Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL

Zitat von Fabricio <fabrixio1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi...

I have an IBM server with NUMA architecture, two nodes with 4 CPU quad core and 64 GB of RAM each, and PostgrSQL 8.3.5. Is there any way to avoid the performance degradation when the load goes up and used the two nodes? I understand this performance degradation is due to the higher latency than a cpu access a remote memory that the local memory. But there are ways to improve this?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-04/msg01187.php

As far as i can see PostgreSQL is not able to support NUMA? With a little search i get to rellay interesting links according to the problem and a potential solution supported by Oracle (using huge pages). Unfortunately PostgreSQL seams not using "huge pages" until now??

http://oss.linbit.com/hugetlb/
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/kevin-closson-index/oracle-on-opteron-k8l-numa-etc/

Any comments on this from PostgreSQL developers?

Regards

Andreas