autovacuum questions

Hello Gurus,
I'm new to PG , running PG 8.3 on Linux and reading trough docs is mentioned that in PG vers 8.3 an AUTO vacuum process has been implemented which will run full vacuum on all user and system tables + analyze and there is NO need fro DBA to schedule a crontab job to run this maintenance jobs . If this is true , here are my questions : Would like to know from your experience is this automated process sufficient and reliable in a warehouse database , can I rely only on this internal process ?
How can I see when the job has been run or completed by PG ?
I have configure track_count=true, what values should I go for autovacuum_naptime from your experience?

Isabella