Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring postgres

Kellyton Campos Feitosa - GYN wrote:

Dears,

I need monitor a postgres database, but I don’t know which tool to use.

The tool need perform the below actions

   1. show transactions pendents
   2. show the statistics per session actives
   3. show the statistics per database
   4. show metrics per session and database
   5. show rows locks
   6. show slow activities statements (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE)
   7. to allow set a trace to a specific session, similar the tool
      dbms_system.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION include in Oracle Database

This is better asked in the administration (or general) mailing list. I don't know of a single magic-bullet tool that does everything you list but you might try with the PostgreSQL docs starting with the monitoring and logging sections.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/monitoring.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html

Then Google "postgresql monitoring tool" and see what's available including commercial products from EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus_as.do (dig into the docs and see what their monitoring stuff does)
and monitoring tools such as Hyperic that have PostgreSQL plugins:
http://www.hyperic.com/products/managed/postgresql-management.htm

Cheers,
Steve