Re: Changing encoding

I'm at 8.2.3
I do a data only pg_dump. I drop the database, then recreate it with the correct encoding. Then load the data back in with psql.

Carol

On Jul 15, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Am Dienstag, 15. Juli 2008 schrieb Carol Walter:
I have some databases that use SQL ASCII or Latin1 encoding that need
to be UTF8.  When I have drop the database and recreated it with the
correct encoding I get errors in restoring the data. How is this done?

What is your PostgreSQL version?  What is the exact command sequence?

The sort of problem you describe is usually fixed by setting the client encoding correctly, but recent versions should do this automatically for
dumps/restores.