Re: More Autovacuum questions

Chris Hoover wrote:
Another question.

When autovacuum sleeps, does it release the lock it has on the table? What we would like to have happen is for vacuum to work for a while, sleep, and while it is sleeping run an analyze on the table. We need this due to how quickly our data is changing. Currently we are running analyze every 5 minutes against the table of question and get a very serious performance hit when vacuum runs due to the index stats getting out of date. As soon as we rerun analyze after the vacuum happiness returns.

The pg_total_relation_size for the table in question is 64GB, and as stated above is a very heavily used and modifed table.

As Alvaro already said this is a case where autovacuum still isn't great. Perhaps what you should do here is disable auto-vacumming of the table during busy periods and and only have it vacuum at off peak times?