Re: plpgsql function seems to be leaking memory

Tom Lane a écrit :
Marc Cousin <mcousin@xxxxxxxx> writes:
I'm having a problem with plpgsql functions leaking memory.

Your example shows absolutely no memory leak here, in either 8.3.3
or CVS HEAD.

I see the postgresql process growing from 8MB to about 400 MB during this run...

What do you have shared_buffers set to?  I think you might be getting
fooled by top's treatment of shared memory (ie, it starts to count
shared pages after the process touches them for the first time).

That's what I thought at first when I saw Marc's email. I tried his example many times, with different values for shared_buffers. RSS column climbs until it reaches more or less the shared_buffers configuration. But, if I launch another psql, this process will have a much lower value on the RSS column. Shouldn't it get the RSS at the same value, even when the process starts ?

I'm a bit puzzled by this column, anyone has a URL where I can find more info?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org