Can't connect from any system account other than postgres

Hey everyone. I hope you'll forgive this most likely stupid question, but I'm having trouble connecting to a postgresql database when on any system account other than postgres.

I understand that the way my PostgreSQL installation is setup, the account postgres functions as a trusted account that will allow me to run psql without a password. However, after I've setup an initial database, user and password (the database is set to belong to this user), when I try to run the command psql -d database -U username -W, after entering the password, I'm told that authentication failed.

I also tried logging into the system as postgres, and then setting the password for the database user postgres. However, I have the same problem when I try to connect as this user from any other system account.

I'm guessing I missed something in my server configuration, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

James
--
eRacks Open Source Systems
http://www.eracks.com/