Re: Major upgrade advice

Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
pg_dump by default ommits OIDs.
However why do you want to completely remove OID functionality?
space usage?
It doesn't backup the OIDs themselves, but it does set "with oids" if the table had them. Per docs (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-compatible.html):

"The use of OIDs in user tables is considered deprecated, so most installations should leave this variable disabled. Applications that require OIDs for a particular table should specify WITH OIDS when creating the table. This variable can be enabled for compatibility with old applications that do not follow this behavior."

I want to incorporate current recommended practice with the upgrade. Per longstanding recommendation, we don't use OIDs. Saving 4-bytes/row on millions of rows is nice, too.

Cheers,
Steve