Re: Continuing issues... Can't vacuum!

Carol Walter wrote:

vacuumdb: vacuuming database "km"
NOTICE: number of page slots needed (2275712) exceeds max_fsm_pages (200000) HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages" to a value over 2275712.

The problem is I've found the max_fsm_pages parameter in the postgresql.conf file, but changing it doesn't seem to be having any effect. So I'm going to ask some questions that are probably pretty silly, but I hope you'll help me. First of all, perhaps the postgresql.conf file that I am editing may not be the one that is being read when the database server starts. There are several postgresql.conf files on this system. How do I tell which one is the one being read?

Carol,

Do the following in psql:

show config_file;

You should get some output like so:

            config_file
-------------------------------------
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
(1 row)

Go forth and edit that file. :-)
The max_fsm_pages parameter says what the minimum setting is in the file. Is there also a maximum?

I'm not sure I understand the question. max_fsm_pages is the maximum number of pages to be used in the free space map. See Jim Nasby's article here: http://decibel.org/~decibel/pervasive/fsm.html
I can't back up my database with the error right now, because of the error. I have a backup but I'm afraid to restore it. I feel like I have many indices that are bloated and I want to get the databases vacuumed before I start trying to create and load a new database. I'm concerned that there won't be enough index space for the system to sort and copy the indices.
What's the error? All I see in this email is a warning about max_fsm_pages and that should not stop you from doing a pg_dump.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954