Re: Bus error in postgres 8.3

Filip Svendsen wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
 > I'm going to try to force a crash on my test server to see if I can
 > find out anything more. Does anyone know how to get useful debugging
 > info at the time of the crash? I don't think I have things set to dump
 > core anywhere, but that and/or stack traces would be nice (especially
 > for child processes).

 Make sure the postmaster is started under ulimit -c unlimited.
 On a depressingly large fraction of modern platforms, daemons are
 started with ulimit -c 0 by default :-(.  Try putting "ulimit -c unlimited"
 into your PG init script and restarting.

                        regards, tom lane

Do you think a too low limit on user processes could be causing the problem?

We have had similar crashes (server process terminated with Bus
Error). This is running 8.2.5 on OS X (Tiger, intel),  with about
130-140 connections, but the process count limit is 1000. Any reason
why the process limit should be vastly higher than the number of
connections?

"ulimit -c unlimited" sets the core dump size to be unlimited, not the connection count.
That would be related to "ulimit -n" (descriptor count.)

Darren