From: pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vishal Arora
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:34 PM
To: Aftab Alam; depesz@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Postgres Performance

> From: aalam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: depesz@xxxxxxxxxx
> CC: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Postgres Performance
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:02:48 +0530
>
> Dear Hubert,
>
> I have mistaken written 7.0 instead of 7.3, I am getting more than 2000 hits
> daily, can u suggest the best configuration. Mean while I am trying to
> migrate it to 8.3.1

Still 7.3 is an older version.

> > I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database & 3
> gb of RAM.
> > Can anyone suggest what is the best setting for postgres. I am using
> postgres as web db.

What are the performance issues you are facing? What are the settings you have made in you postgreSQL.conf file? Based on that we can suggest you to tune some parameters or any other solution.

- Vishal

Coolhotmail : Board of the same old Email ID’s? Get a unique one here. Try it now!

This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. TSR Darashaw Ltd. has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. TSR Darashaw Ltd. reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the TSR Darashaw Ltd's e-mail system.
#
# PostgreSQL configuration file
# -----------------------------
#
# This file consists of lines of the form:
#
#   name = value
#
# (The '=' is optional.) White space may be used. Comments are introduced
# with '#' anywhere on a line. The complete list of option names and
# allowed values can be found in the PostgreSQL documentation. The
# commented-out settings shown in this file represent the default values.
#
# Any option can also be given as a command line switch to the
# postmaster, e.g. 'postmaster -c log_connections=on'. Some options
# can be changed at run-time with the 'SET' SQL command.
#
# This file is read on postmaster startup and when the postmaster
# receives a SIGHUP. If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect, or use
# "pg_ctl reload".

#========================================================================

#
#	Connection Parameters
#
tcpip_socket = true
#ssl = false

#max_connections = 32
#superuser_reserved_connections = 2

#port = 5432
#hostname_lookup = false
#show_source_port = false

#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777	# octal

#virtual_host = ''

#krb_server_keyfile = ''

#
#	Shared Memory Size
#
#shared_buffers = 64		# min max_connections*2 or 16, 8KB each
#max_fsm_relations = 1000	# min 10, fsm is free space map, ~40 bytes
#max_fsm_pages = 10000		# min 1000, fsm is free space map, ~6 bytes
#max_locks_per_transaction = 64	# min 10
#wal_buffers = 8		# min 4, typically 8KB each

#
#	Non-shared Memory Sizes
#
sort_mem = 1024		# min 64, size in KB
#vacuum_mem = 8192		# min 1024, size in KB

#
#	Write-ahead log (WAL)
#
#checkpoint_segments = 3	# in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
#checkpoint_timeout = 300	# range 30-3600, in seconds
#
#commit_delay = 0		# range 0-100000, in microseconds
#commit_siblings = 5		# range 1-1000
#
#fsync = true
#wal_sync_method = fsync	# the default varies across platforms:
#				# fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, or open_datasync
#wal_debug = 0			# range 0-16

#
#	Optimizer Parameters
#
enable_seqscan = true
enable_indexscan = true
enable_tidscan = true
enable_sort = true
enable_nestloop = true
enable_mergejoin = true
enable_hashjoin = true

effective_cache_size = 1000	# typically 8KB each
#random_page_cost = 4		# units are one sequential page fetch cost
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01		# (same)
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.001	# (same)
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025	# (same)

#from_collapse_limit = 8
#join_collapse_limit = 8	# 1 disables collapsing of explicit JOINs

#default_statistics_target = 10	# range 1-1000

#
#	GEQO Optimizer Parameters
#
#geqo = true
#geqo_selection_bias = 2.0	# range 1.5-2.0
#geqo_threshold = 11
#geqo_pool_size = 0		# default based on tables in statement,
				# range 128-1024
#geqo_effort = 1
#geqo_generations = 0
#geqo_random_seed = -1		# auto-compute seed

#
#	Message display
#
#server_min_messages = notice	# Values, in order of decreasing detail:
				#   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
				#   info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal,
				#   panic
#client_min_messages = notice	# Values, in order of decreasing detail:
				#   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
				#   log, info, notice, warning, error
#silent_mode = false

#log_connections = false
#log_pid = false
#log_statement = false
#log_duration = false
#log_timestamp = false

#log_min_error_statement = panic # Values in order of increasing severity:
				 #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
				 #   info, notice, warning, error, panic(off)

#debug_print_parse = false
#debug_print_rewritten = false
#debug_print_plan = false
#debug_pretty_print = false

#explain_pretty_print = true

# requires USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
#debug_assertions = true

#
#	Syslog
#
#syslog = 0			# range 0-2
#syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
#syslog_ident = 'postgres'

#
#	Statistics
#
#show_parser_stats = false
#show_planner_stats = false
#show_executor_stats = false
#show_statement_stats = false

# requires BTREE_BUILD_STATS
#show_btree_build_stats = false

#
#	Access statistics collection
#
#stats_start_collector = true
#stats_reset_on_server_start = true
#stats_command_string = false
#stats_row_level = false
#stats_block_level = false

#
#	Lock Tracing
#
#trace_notify = false

# requires LOCK_DEBUG
#trace_locks = false
#trace_userlocks = false
#trace_lwlocks = false
#debug_deadlocks = false
#trace_lock_oidmin = 16384
#trace_lock_table = 0

#
#	Misc
#
#autocommit = true
#dynamic_library_path = '$libdir'
#search_path = '$user,public'
#datestyle = 'iso, us'
#timezone = unknown		# actually, defaults to TZ environment setting
#australian_timezones = false
#client_encoding = sql_ascii	# actually, defaults to database encoding
#authentication_timeout = 60	# 1-600, in seconds
#deadlock_timeout = 1000	# in milliseconds
#default_transaction_isolation = 'read committed'
#max_expr_depth = 10000		# min 10
#max_files_per_process = 1000	# min 25
#password_encryption = true
#sql_inheritance = true
#transform_null_equals = false
#statement_timeout = 0		# 0 is disabled, in milliseconds
#db_user_namespace = false

#
#	Locale settings
#
# (initialized by initdb -- may be changed)
LC_MESSAGES = 'en_US.UTF-8'
LC_MONETARY = 'en_US.UTF-8'
LC_NUMERIC = 'en_US.UTF-8'
LC_TIME = 'en_US.UTF-8'