Empty database creation???

Hello,

I'm having what I consider a strange problem, although it may be caused by my being such a newby to Postgres. I have been asked to send a empty database to a colleague by a researcher. The first time I created it, I didn't realize they want it empty. I created the database and then loaded a file I created with pg_dump. Then I found out that the researcher want to send an empty database. I dropped the database and ran the pg_dump with the flag to only give me the schema. Then I re-created the database and loaded the schema only file. Then I did a select count to make sure the tables were empty, but they had their data. I figured I had made a mistake so went through the entire process again and got exactly the same result. Then I wondered where the glitch was so I dropped the database then recreated it, without restoring the database. When I looked at the database all the tables were there and populated. Next I dropped the database, bailed out of postgres, started psql again recreated the database. The tables were there and populated. I've even made sure the database was dropped by listing the databases. Still, when I recreate it, it comes with all the tables there and populated. I've worked with a lot of databases and everything in my experience says that when a database is dropped it's gone. Why does this come back with all the tables intact when I drop it and recreate a database with the same name? Is there a way I can this to work? I have not tried creating the empty database under a name I haven't used, which I can do. It's just that this seems really weird to me.

Carol Walter