Re: Is my vacuumdb stuck in a loop?

On 3/2/08 11:15 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Michael Goldner" <MGoldner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Am I stuck in a loop, or is this happening because the size of the relation
>> is so large that postgres is operating on smaller chunks?
>
> It's removing as many dead rows at a time as it can handle.  Arithmetic
> suggests that you've got maintenance_work_mem set to 64MB, which would
> be enough room to process 11184810 rows per index scanning cycle.

That is exactly correct regarding maintenance_work_mem.  Maybe I should
double this.  I think my server has sufficient memory.  Is there any
downside?

> The fact that there are so many dead large objects is what I'd be
> worrying about.  Does that square with your sense of what you've
> removed, or does it suggest you've got a large object leak?  Do you
> use contrib/lo and/or contrib/vacuumlo to manage them?

I am in the process of archiving off about 1.4 million large objects from a
total of 1.7 million.  I removed about 700,000 before running the vacuum.
Each large object averages about 256k, with outliers as big as 100MB.  At 2k
per row in pg_largeobject (if I understand correctly), the number of dead
large objects doesn't seem unreasonable.

> The numbers also suggest that you might be removing all or nearly
> all of the rows in pg_largeobject.  If so, a CLUSTER on it might
> be more effective than VACUUM as a one-shot cleanup method.

My understanding is that CLUSTER is a blocking operation.  My database
supports a 24x7 operation, so I cannot bring the system offline for extended
periods.  How fast is the "CLUSTER" operation?  Given my database, am I
looking at minutes, hours, or days?  Can a CLUSTER be cancelled without
negative consequences if I see it is taking longer than I can allow?

Thanks

--
Mike Goldner