Re: WAL archiving

Shilpa Sudhakar wrote:
Hi Vishal,

Below is the setup in the postgresql.conf file

fsync = true                    # turns forced synchronization on or off
wal_sync_method = fsync # the default varies across platforms:
#wal_buffers = 8                # min 4, 8KB each
#commit_delay = 0               # range 0-100000, in microseconds
#commit_siblings = 5            # range 1-1000

# - Checkpoints -

checkpoint_segments = 3 # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
checkpoint_timeout = 300        # range 30-3600, in seconds
checkpoint_warning = 30 # 0 is off, in seconds

# - Archiving -

archive_command = 'cp -i %p /usr/local/var/pgsql/data/wal_log/%f'
# command to use to archive a logfile segment

Since this is the test system i've put the wal_log folder in the data folder itself. But, later on i'll be moving this to a different disk.

We have thousands and thousands of records that get inserted and updated so the wal logs would be increasing in a large rate. I was thinking if i want to delete the wal logs after a period of time, do i take a base backup again and then delete those old files?

Thanks and Regards,
Shilpa

Vishal Arora wrote:

Hi Shilpa,
You need not take base backup again and again. You have WAL Archiveing in place, that is enough to restore the database. BTW, what archiving command are you using for WAL Archiving in you postgresql.conf.

- Vishal

It's about getting married. Click here! Try it! <http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=201>

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate