Re: 8.3.0 upgrade, confused by documentation

Tena Sakai wrote:

I am going from 8.2.4 to 8.3.0.  Does, "For best results,
however, try to use the pg_dumpall command from PostgreSQL
8.3.0" apply to me?  Doesn't this only apply if one is
already running 8.3.x?  (Even that is a bit strange, since
the last minor rev number is only 0 at this time...)

Yes. You want to use the 8.3.0 version of pg_dumpall. The latest version will understand the dump format required to import into the new version, and also will understand how to interact with the old version (8.2.4). As such, using the new version of pg_dumpall is your best bet when upgrading.

The old version (8.2.4) of pg_dumpall might not understand some of the new features, format methods, or optimizations required by the new version (8.3.0) - so you wouldn't want to restore a dump created with 8.2.4's pg_dumpall on a 8.3.0 server.

Hope that makes sense. Basically, the new version understands both the old and new version, but the old version only understands the old and older versions.... In many situations, you might see that it doesn't make a difference which version you use, but the reality is that there might be some special cases, etc. that the old version fails under - while the new version will not.

Chander

Assuming I am wrong (ie., what it says does apply to me),
where in the steps (after 4 and before 8) do I make the
backup?

I'd appreciate someone to de-confuse me.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--